Friday, March 1, 2013

Southern Exposure: AZ/Cali 2013 (part3) - Extend it...


   It was hard to leave California.... something in me wants to settle there, but I've got some great friends and family in the desert and I couldn't help going back to Arizona for one more visit before the journey home to Canada. 

CLICK ON PHOTOS TO ENLARGE



   Tucson has some historic old neon signs (above) around town that have now been protected by new legislation... sometimes they still stand when the establishment they originally advertised has long disappeared. 


   I'm not sure what the odds are of getting 2 completely unrelated triples skateboarding shots within the same week, especially since I pretty much just poached this one of Chris Cope, Brice Niebuhr, and Brandon Perelson doing an Animal Chin reminiscent invert combo in Tucson's 12 foot bowl. I just walked over  and the 1st one I shot they did, perfect. Dudes even rolled into the same skinny channel at the same time. They were on their own trip with a group of Seattle/San Diego rippers... we had some good times while they were in town. 


   Not long after I got back to Arizona, Chris rolled over to stay with his good friend Andrew in Gilbert for a few weeks, so we met up for a couple days of skating around the Phoenix streets with some of the World Industries guys. I got the entirety of my tan on the trip from one hour at that spot in the photo above....  it was sweeeeeet. Chris slappies the gap yo.


It was really awesome having Skyla on the trip... keeping spirits high.


   She even got in on the action if she could... in this case spicing up the scene of Derek Fukuhara's frontside bluntslide at sick flatbar spot in downtown Phoenix.

Photo: Chris Haslam

   Lean a sketchy piece of rusty metal on there and pivot fakie that bar dawg.


   Tucson loc Jason Coleman knows it's a rock n' roll party now so he throws down on the hip of the Whale Tail for one of my favorite photos from the trip.


   There's Doves all around my folk's place in Oro Valley, they're great at shocking the shit out of you when you walk by a tree/bush they've been hiding in and they come charging out. 


   Suski and his friends are pretty proactive when it comes to DIY spots... this one was rad. Great wallrides and the section in progress that Aaron is smith stalling on.


Aaron Suski.


Jesse Dent.


Speaking of DIY spots....


.... almost.


... ???


   This angle of Suski smacking a body jar on the same wall is less confusing.


   Why not throw one more rock n' roll in there when they look this nice ?


   ..or two. Aaron twists the last one of the trip to back up Jesse.


Jesse at home in the embrace of his own creation.


   I can't thank my family and all my friends who hosted me on this trip enough, nothing feels better than feeling at home while on vacation. The whole experience seems to get better every year, leaving me itching to return more often, for longer. Between Arizona, California and a quick stop in Portland I also came up on a huge stack of records, including many that I've been searching for a long time. Let's all hope for a freak early summer in Vancouver this year so I don't go mental from the non-stop rain....

   ... until then, enjoy this little tidbit that Chris got stuck in my head for the whole trip.... classic !


No comments:

Post a Comment