Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Off the Record # 2 - Bass Melter


 When I was a kid, the 1st album I can remember choosing on my own, out of my parent's limited record collection, was Booker T & The M.G's .... one of the albums with "Green Onions" on it. I loved it. Years later, I heard "Hip Hug Her" as the soundtrack behind a classic Jeremy Wray video part... and then a couple years after that, in 93' I heard a song in a 411 video during the Zoo York industry section that HAD to be the same band. Turns out it was, and the song "Melting Pot" is the focus of this OTR pick. I picked up the record at Twist & Shout Records in Tucson, AZ for something like $7.... sadly, that store closed last year. Tucson's a tough one....



  Melting Pot is carried by a rolling bass line, and it was begging to be used as a soundtrack to something. Throw in early footage of Zoo York's humble beginnings ( not to mention a heavy cameo by Bobbito ) with some raw New York skating, and you have a classic clip that's fairly interesting to take another look at after all these years. ....and if Melting Pot sounds familiar to anyone, it may be due to it's use as the key sample/loop in Big Daddy Kane's "Another Victory", from his classic 1989 album "It's a Big Daddy Thing". You will have this bass line stuck in your head after listening - DTZ.



No comments:

Post a Comment