Wednesday, March 6, 2019

BUDOS BAND V



A little over a decade ago, a record shop owner who knew what sort of stuff I was into suggested the Budos Band to me, and I nonchalantly said "Cool - I'll check them out" while I continued to thumb through the vinyl. Not long after that, a different record shop owner who had been to the night I was DJing at the Waldorf in Vancouver also mentioned he thought I would be into the band - but this time, he put the record on. My first impression was that this music sounded right up the RZA's alley - you could grab a dope sample from any part of the song we were listening to. I bought the record on the spot (Budos Band II), went home, threw it on, and realized I had just found my new favorite band.

It wasn't long before new skate videos/edits started featuring Budos Band and the various other Daptone/Dunham/Truth and Soul groups, heavily. That music just works so well with skateboarding. I even made a remix of Ghostface Killah's "The Champ" using a few different Budos samples. I can't wait to add this new Budos Band album to the library of awesome afrobeat, funk, soul and heavy psych rock vinyl I've amassed since their discovery.

Going to see them live for the first time this April in Seattle - see you there?

                                                                                             - Adam Cassidy

No comments:

Post a Comment